Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Wednesday

Wednesday should feel better, if not only because it is hump day, then because at least Monday and Tuesday are done and dusted.  This week Wednesday just feels like I am reaching Everest base camp.  Maybe it should be called whinging Wednesday. 
Reasons to complain:
-  My heart is in the Grand Canyon and my ass is in Ontario.
-  It is getting colder. 
-  That's about it really.
So do  I have any reason to complain to probably not, but it is the North American way.  We complain because we are not earning enough money, or we do not have a big enough house, or all the toys we want or are asses are too big because we eat too much. 
I am reading a fantastic book by Jon Turk called "the Raven's Gift".  In it he writes about the life of tribes that live on the Siberian Plain.  They have little in the way of material wealth.  In fact they have had all their natural wealth (raindeer herds) stripped away from them in exchange for vodka. 
The folk that can avoid alcoholism are, by western standards dirt poor, and yet when a stranger comes to them, they share what meager food and supplies they have joyfully.  They live simply and do not talk about what they don't have. 
Perhaps that is the idealism of the Western world- we want to make enought money to be able to go for a walk with our dogs.  And that is what the tribesmen and women of Siberia do daily.  Walk with their dogs to hunt and range and survive.
So it goes. 
I hope I don't have to move to Siberia to be less grumpy and more grateful.
Time for a reality check.  Yep I still have two legs and I can go to the bathroom by myself. 
I guess life is better than I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment